- Did you know some Japanese restaurants serve raw slices of chicken?
- Diners were ‘disturbed’ when a magazine tweeted about the unusual dish
- Raw chicken can contain Salmonella or dangerous bacteria that can make you ill
Almost everyone knows that eating raw chicken is a one-way ticket to food poisoning.
Many had no idea chicken could be served raw – and others balked at the idea of eating chicken that has not been cooked.
Chickens are often contaminated with Salmonella, or carry the bacteria campylobacter – both of which can give you a serious bout of food poisoning. Despite this risk, chicken sashimi is a not uncommon dish on some Japanese restaurant menus
Food&Wine magazine asked ‘Is chicken sashimi safe?’ on Twitter, alongside a picture of glistening slices of raw poultry and a link to one of its article on the Japanese phenomenon.
The tweet quickly went viral, with many aghast at the idea of eating chicken raw.
Raw chicken can give you Salmonella poisoning, and many chickens also carry the bacteria campylobacter, which can make you seriously ill.
Japanese restaurants however serve chicken sashimi by taking thin slices or dicing chicken from the middle of the breast – the part of the chicken that is least likely to be contaminated with Salmonella.
Japanese restaurants serve chicken sashimi raw in the middle and lightly cooked on the outside. It is generally seared for about 10 seconds
Many Twitter users felt sick at the thought of eating raw chicken sashimi, let alone consider trying it. But the dish is actually considered a delicacy in Japan, despite the risk of food poisoning
It still presents a risk of course – and in July Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare warned against serving raw chicken.
For many on Twitter, this was something they already knew – and they could not believe that some restaurants would consider serving chicken sashimi.
One tweeted: ‘I just got food poisoning from looking at the photo.’
Another wrote: ‘Safe to eat if you want to take some sick days off work.’
Those who have tried the dish describe it as ‘horrific’ so it may not even be worth the risk of food poisoning to try it.
In any case, it doesn’t look as if this delicacy will start appearing on menus in the US or UK any time soon.
Courtesy: Daily Mail Online